Monday 30 December 2013

Final 'Lullaby' poster

After making all of the preparation for the poster, I started to put it all together. I started with the image which I took into photoshop and created its own layer. I then drew a text box and added the title 'Lullaby'. I chose a white colouring for the font, as this contrasted best with the background. Red is another popular choice for this text (as you can see in my previous post) but due to the fact that the blood is red on the hand, I didn't want to overload the use of the colour, which would take the focus away from the blood.
I thought this looked okay as it was, but was lacking in something, so I added a motion blur to the font, (by 500 pixels on the horizontal axis, and 20 pixels on the vertical axis). I felt like this gave a ghostly feel to it, which suits the storyline to our film. 

I then created the billing block for the bottom of the poster on another photoshop document, which is a common feature to most film posters. I did this by downloading another font, and a template which allowed me to simply fill in the gaps of where text could be personalised to our own film. I then made the background transparent, and changed the colour of the text from black to white, in order to contrast well with the background, and not to contrast too much with the font of the main film title. Also, white is the typical colour choice for the billing block (again, this is evident in my previous post). 
Due to the fact that there has only been me and Ashleigh creating this trailer, I used only our two names (apart from Ellie and Holly's name, who we added to the actresses section). This looks unusual for a normal billing block, as there are usually a lot more names which make their appearance on here. 

As our trailer would probably be an independant film, I decided to add the logos of film festivals such as the logo from the Cannes film festival and the Tribeca film festival logo. I google searched the logos, then saved them and opened them up into photoshop. I then made the backgrounds transparent and inverted the colours, so they turned from black into white. This would fit with the colour theme of my poster. I placed them onto my poster, and fitted them into appropriate spaces in my billing block (which is a common place for film festival logos). 

There still seemed to be something missing, so I looked at the images I had gathered from Google images, and saw that on many of them, a piece of text stating the directors of the film ('A film by...') was placed above the title. I added a text box with this text onto the poster, and changed the sized of the fonts accordingly. I felt that this seemed to fit well onto the poster. 
At this point, I quite liked the poster how it was, however, I added the final touches by adding a vignette to the edges. I copied the original layer of the image and then drew a circle around the edge. Then, I feathered the edges by 200 pixels. I inverted the circle, and then lowered the brightness. This produced a very faint vignette, which was minimal, but was quite effective. 
I also added a small piece of text underneath the billing block 'Coming Soon', which is another feature that I have found common on film posters in general. I made the text red, using the pipette tool I managed to get a similar colour to the colour of the blood. This maintained the colour theme. Here is the final poster that I created;

No comments:

Post a Comment